What is a tummy tuck?
A flat and well-toned abdomen is something many of us strive for through exercise and weight control. Sometimes these methods cannot achieve our goals.
Even individuals of otherwise normal body weight and proportion can develop an abdomen that protrudes or is loose and sagging. The most common causes of this include:
- Significant fluctuations in weight
- Prior surgery
What a tummy tuck won’t do:
Tummy tucks are not a substitute for weight loss or an appropriate exercise program. Also, tummy tuck operations cannot correct stretch marks, although these may be removed or somewhat improved if they are located on the areas of excess skin that will be excised, generally the treated areas below the belly button.
Tummy tuck words to know
- Abdominoplasty/Tummy Tuck A surgical procedure to correct the apron of excess skin hanging over your abdomen.
- Diastasis: Condition in which abdominal muscles have separated.
- General anesthesia: Drugs and/or gases used during an operation to relieve pain and alter consciousness
- Intravenous sedation: Sedatives administered by injection into a vein to help you relax.
- Liposuction: Also called lipoplasty or suction lipectomy, this procedure vacuums out fat from beneath the skin’s surface to reduce fullness.
- Local anesthesia: A drug is injected directly to the site of an incision during an operation to relieve pain.
- Sutures: Stitches used by surgeons to hold skin and tissue together.
Dr. Bishara provides a wide range of cosmetic procedures to help patients look and feel their best. Please call our office at (817) 473-2120 for for information on tummy tucks, liposuction or many other cosmetic surgeries. You can also visit our website at www.MarkBisharaMD.com for further information.
Sometimes, even the most rigorous diet and exercise routines can’t get rid of stubborn, excess fat and skin folds that can accumulate in a variety of body areas. Dr. Mark Bishara is focused on helping patients recontour their bodies and enhance areas that may have proven resistant to traditional methods of losing weight. We can give you a tighter physique with a more toned appearance and enhance areas including the stomach, thighs, arms, buttocks and breasts.
If you are considering plastic surgery options to recontour your body, you can be assured that procedures offered are performed in a safe environment. Our goal is to provide you with safe, effective treatment that results in cosmetic enhancement that looks natural, without the appearance of having undergone plastic surgery.
Please contact our office to schedule a consultation for body contouring surgery. The following guide will explain some of the options available, that may help you with your specific body contouring needs. For more information on surgical and non-surgical cosmetic enhancement or reconstruction treatments, please contact our practice.
Abdominoplasty, or tummy tuck surgery, can eliminate excess fat and skin in the midsection for a more firm, fit-looking stomach. A tummy tuck tightens the underlying abdominal muscles and re-drapes the skin with results you may not have been able to achieve with traditional diet and exercise.
Liposuction is one of the most popular cosmetic enhancement procedures available. With safe, effective liposuction techniques such as Vaser LipoSelection® here at LIPSG, excess fat deposits can be eliminated in virtually any area of the body.
A breast lift, or mastopexy, is performed to restore youthful shape and lift to breasts that have sagged as a result of weight loss, pregnancy, or simply the effects of aging and gravity. This procedure can also reduce the size of the areola and can be combined with breast reduction or augmentation to adjust the size and firmness of the breasts.
For patients who have had bariatric weight loss surgery, Dr. Mark Bishara offers a number of procedures designed to help you take this new and exciting phase of your life to the next step. Surgical options such as body lift, arm lift, abdominoplasty (tummy tuck), and liposuction can help you get rid of excess, loose skin and fat for tighter skin and a more toned appearance.
Please contact us for more information at (817) 473-2120, or to schedule a consultation for body contouring surgery or visit our website at www.MarkBisharaMD.com.
Surgery After Significant Weight Loss
About forty-five million Americans diet each year and Americans spend approximately one to $2 billion a year on weight loss programs. It is believed that consumers spend about $30 billion per year trying to lose weight or prevent weight gain, and 55% of Americans are actively trying to maintain or lose weight. In the last five years weight loss surgery has experienced a tremendous resurgence. Over fifty thousand patients in the United States will undergo some form of gastric bypass surgery during the year, and the positive effects of this surgery are immeasurable. The health benefits of massive weight loss are numerous and profound.
However, after a patient experiences massive weight loss, the body skin is not able to retract to the smaller size of the body underneath. This results in large pendulous hanging breasts, significant excess underarm skin (sometimes known as bat wings), and significant lower abdominal skin and laxity that causes rashes, impairs the ability to wear normal clothes and sometimes even daily activity. In the face, this excess skin often leads to significant signs of aging when the skin is no longer able to retrace following massive weight loss.
Body Contouring is a safe and effective group of procedures that can help a patient drastically improve their appearance! Dr. Mark Bishara and The Paragon Plastic Surgery & Med Spa offer body contouring surgery designed specifically for patients who have achieved significant weight loss. Procedures that remove skin or fat, tighten and lift can be used as a complement to help your clothes fit better and allow you to participate more comfortably in your favorite activities.
Body Contouring – Are You a Candidate?
The best candidates for body contouring are people who have undergone massive weight loss and are dissatisfied with the appearance of their body, are in general good health, and have realistic expectations of what the procedure can accomplish.
Body Contouring – Plastic Surgery Procedures & Risks
Body contouring is a group of complimentary cosmetic procedures that can reshape your entire figure into a shape of your own choosing. Often times when a person is dissatisfied with their shape one or more procedures can alleviate their discomfort and provide them with the aesthetically pleasing figure they desire. Body contouring is also a safe and effective way to combat the unsightly sagging skin that often accompanies massive weight loss.
In order to reshape the body, Dr. Bishara will generally focus on a few common areas that many people often find less than attractive as the years go by. For example:
- Sagging or drooping breasts can often be overcome through a breast reduction and breast lift.
- If the skin on your arms is not as toned as the muscle underneath, an armlift or “brachioplasty” can correct unsightly droopage.
- Sometimes over the years the stomach can take on a rounded or flabby shape, and no manner of sit-ups will help, so many people elect for an abdominoplasty or tummy tuck.
- Despite the best exercise and diet regimens many people suffer a loss of tone in their buttocks. Fortunately a buttock lift can restore the tone and shape lost over the years.
- As people age, the skin on their upper thighs begins to droop out of proportion with the rest of their skin tone, so a thigh lift can often correct this unsightly mishap of genetics.
- Finally, in order to achieve an all around sense of proportion, many people elect to remove stubborn fat deposits through liposuction. This procedure restores the characteristic figure and curves many of us lose over the years.
Interested in what body contouring can do for you? Contact Dr. Mark Bishara’s Office in Mansfield and Southlake, today to learn more about the transformative treatments we offer. Call us at (817) 473-2120 to find out more information.